Influenza is a highly infectious acute respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. It affects people of all ages. This is why it is also known as seasonal flu.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FREE VACCINATION?
Administration of the flu vaccine is free to all Medical Card, Doctor visit & HAA cardholders who are over 65 or who belong to one of the at-risk groups listed below.
Patients who do not hold a Medical Card, Doctor Visit Card or HAA CARD but are over 65 or belong to one of the at-risk groups below will have some of the cost of their flu vaccine subsidised by the HSE.
WHO ARE THE AT-RISK GROUPS?
- Persons aged 65 and over
- Those with a long-term medical condition such as diabetes.heart or lung disease, moderate or severe asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis, multiple sclerosis.
- Persons whose immune system is impaired due to treatment or disease,
- Healthcare workers & carers.
- Nursing home residents.
- Persons with BMI (body mass index) over 40.
- All pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy.
- Persons with regular close contact with poultry, waterfowl or pigs.
- Household contacts of persons with increased medical risk.
At Murphys Pharmacy, we offer a Flu Vaccination service to anyone over 18 years of age.
Our pharmacists have completed comprehensive training and are fully certified to administer the flu vaccine.